Saturday, March 22, 2014

Should I watch Noah?

Today I read this article, in which radio talk show personality Glenn Beck is quoted as hoping Noah, releasing next week, is a massive failure.  Understand, Beck has not seen the film.  Nevertheless, he believes -upon the basis of a single review in The Hollywood Reporter -that the film not only takes creative liberties, but actually perverts and upends the Biblical story.  He proceeds -again, not having seen the film himself -to call the movie "dangerous" and advises people not to see it.

I've also read the Hollywood Reporter review of Noah.  I also have some reservations about the film, based upon some of the information that the review contains.

But I have some serious problems with Glenn Beck's position; three of them in fact.

First, the review itself was largely in praise of the film.  It found much -though not everything -to be good.  And it pointed out some of the areas that did tend to stray from what the Bible actually says.  But it was not very long, or very detailed.  To use that review as a way to condemn the entire film would be like saying no one should ever go anyplace in New Jersey because you once saw an unflattering photograph of one street in Newark.

Second, there are a number of rather prominent Christian authors and leaders who actually have seen the film and who do recommend it.  The Hollywood Reporter notes that both Rev. Samuel Rodreguez (a pastor/author I have heard and enjoyed) and Jim Daly (president of Focus on the Family) support Noah.  Others have also come out in favor.  Of course, simply because these guys like the movie does not make it biblical.  But at least they are Christian leaders who fight for the cause of Jesus, they've seen it, and give it a thumbs up.

And this leads to my third problem I have with Glenn Beck's position.  Glenn Beck is an outspoken, practicing, devout Mormon.  Mormonism is -by its very nature and definition -a perversion of true Christianity.  It is unbiblical, heretical, contrary to history and reason.  Mormonism teaches falsehoods about God, Jesus Christ, and humanity.  Basically what I'm saying is this: a Mormon with only second-hand knowledge is not an authority on what is actually Biblical.  And I simply do not trust his judgement especially since -and I repeat myself for emphasis -HE HAS NOT SEEN THE MOVIE!

Could Noah be a dangerous, subversive film that twists the Bible's message and leads people to believe things about God and Scripture that are not true?  Absolutely, I acknowledge the possibility.  Could it remain faithful to the message and theme of the Scripture, while adding extra stuff for the sake of drama?  Sure.  But I'll need to see it to decide for myself.

So I think I will go see it.  I'm still hopeful for a good, solid film.  Sure, I don't expect it to be exactly what I would make, should I have been a movie director.  Sure, I fully expect there to be stuff added in that puzzles me, or even to which I take great exception.  But I hope that it inspires further discussion in our society on faith and Scripture.  I hope it leads a great many people to read the Biblical story in Genesis for the first time.

And I hope that Hollywood hears a loud message from all of us that if they will make Biblical films that respect the Source Material we will support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment